Picture from Left to Right: Sir Dan Carlin, M.D., Sir Murthy Gokula, M.D., Sir Col. Wilson Ariza, Princess Maria Amor Torres, Grand Master Don Basilio, His Excellency Stephen Shaya, M.D., Sir Norbert Chung, Sir Barry Didato, Sir Jared Dubey
NEW YORK - Sept. 4, 2016 - The Order of Saint John of Jerusalem ("OSJ") Knights of Malta held an Investiture in New York on August 18 and this was followed by Awarding of Diplomas on August 19 in the presence of illustrious Dignitaries, Royalty and Honorees during the 4th Annual Global Officials of Dignity Awards, a flagship event of We Care for Humanity at the United Nations.
In a special, private ceremony, six men achieved the status of Knight of Grace and the surname "Sir" in the Knights of Malta, OSJ. These men were awarded their titles based on personal character, professional achievement, and strong commitment to help elevate humanity. The new Knights include the following: Sir Dan Carlin, M.D.; Sir Murthy Gokula, M.D.; Sir Col. Wilson Ariza; Sir Norbert Chung, and Sir Barry Didato, and Sir Jared Dubey.
The solemn investiture that was perpetuated in the glorious and Millennia tradition was officiated by His Royal Imperial Highness, the Grand Master Don Basilio, S.A.S. San Lorenzo Duke of Emmathà, assisted by Her Highness Princess Maria Amor Torres of the Royal House of Baloi and the current Minister of International Cooperation and Integration of the OSJ, and newly promoted OSJ Ambassador, His Excellency Stephen Shaya, M.D. This was the first time the Grand Master had done this ceremony outside of Malta. The newly installed Noble Knights are the following:
• Daniel Carlin, M.D. is the founder and CEO of the connected care telemedicine practice World Clinic. He is a former U.S. Navy Chief Medical Officer who has served as a refugee camp physician on the Afghanistan-Pakistan frontier. Carlin is board certified in Emergency Medicine and holds a consultant-staff appointment at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center in suburban Boston. He has been in practice for 29 years.
• Murthy Gokula, MD, CMD is a regional expert in Geriatric Medicine and Palliative Care/Hospice. He is board certified in Family Medicine with two Certificates of Added Qualifications: Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine and has achieved the level of Certified Medical Director (CMD). Out of the 7,162 board certified geriatricians in the United States, he was one of 2,700 who was also a Certified Medical Director, signifying expertise in long-term care (LTC) medical direction.
• Mr. Barry Didato is Chief Investment Officer of The Innovation Institute and senior advisor to The Saudi royal family. Barry's background and experience in investments, mergers & acquisitions (M&A), startups, and global business perspective enable him to assist The Institute in reaching its highest potential in terms of volume of ideas and inventions, as well as mission, impact, value, and access to care for vulnerable populations globally.
• Mr. Jared Dubey is Senior Managing Director of Athos II Holdings, a privately-held company overseeing the investment and philanthropic interests of its founding principals, focused on direct and syndicated co-investments with select Single Family Offices and institutional investors globally. He is based in New York.
• Wilson Ariza, Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army (Retired), is the National Associate Director for Simulation-Based Medical Education Training at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Mr. Ariza is responsible for providing short and long range simulation-based training solutions to be delivered to 23 Veterans Integrated Service Networks (VISNs) and 150 VA Medical Centers. Mr. Ariza is an experienced business executive with an extensive record of successfully managing multiple multi-million programs in healthcare services in the Department of Defense. He has held numerous healthcare positions of increased responsibility within the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs' office and the U.S. Army Surgeon General's office. Mr. Ariza was responsible for implementing an electronic medical record system, and telemedicine in the battlefield for the first time in the history of the Department of Defense.
• Norbert H. Chung is Executive Vice President and a Corporate Officer of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. As EVP, Norbert has responsibility over the Western US for their employee benefit consulting operations, market relations, and overall strategic positioning. In addition to sitting on the division’s Executive and Strategic Planning Committees, he chaired the division's Strategic Issues Committee which surfaces, monitors and assesses market shifts impacting operations and defines advising practices to healthcare and benefit needs of corporate clientele. Norbert’s 28+ years of leadership and consulting experience in the evolving health & welfare and retirement industry has been instrumental towards his understanding of both internal corporate strategy and operational needs as well as the external objectives of corporate clients. He is also an active member of numerous executive advisory boards and councils for prominent national and regional health care and employee benefit service providers. Prior to joining Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. in 1995, Norbert was Assistant Vice President at Johnson & Higgins, and held retirement consulting positions at Foster Higgins and The Wyatt Company. Norbert has a B.S. in Business Economics from University of California, Santa Barbara and an Advanced Executive Education from Wharton.
Stephen Shaya, M.D. became the newly promoted Ambassador-at-Large of the OSJ Knights of Malta. Stephen Shaya, M.D. graduated from Birmingham Brother Rice High School Summa Cum Laude. He was awarded a Merit Scholarship to attend Wayne State University. During his time at WSU, Dr. Shaya won many leadership awards including the Outstanding Student Leader in 1991 and Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Grant Awardee. He was selected to serve on the Wayne State University Board of Governors from 1991 to 1993. He attended Wayne State University Medical School and graduated in 1996. Since 2004, Dr. Shaya has been the Chief Medical Officer of J & B Medical, a global healthcare solutions company. Dr. Shaya has received many recognitions including becoming a Knight of Grace for the Knights of Malta, the 2015 Global Distinguished Health Care Award from the Center of Economic and Leadership Development, and a United States Congressional Commendation. He received a Global Medical Innovation and Leadership Award August 19, 2016 at the United Nations along with a commendation from the New York State Senate.
In addition, Her Highness, Prince Maria Amor was honored with the first OSJ Medal of Merit for her profound service to Humanity during the Awards. Princess Raden Dato'Seri Maria Amor Torres DK, D.D., Minister of Foreign Affairs and Protocol & Appointment Officer of The Royal House of Baloi, Foreign Minister of The Royal Kingdom of Sulu, Honorary Princess of Melayu Jambi, Indonesia and Minister of International Cooperation and Integration of OSJ Knights of Malta, recipient of DERJAH KERABAT (highest award for Royalty given to Kings, Sultans, Presidents) is the Founder and President of the We Care for Humanity, a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote universal humanitarianism and provide education, health and empowerment to the underprivileged and underserved women and children using various global novel collaboration and projects. We Care for Humanity was founded in 2009 and formalized in 2011.
*The Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Knights Hospitaller (Malta) is one of the oldest Orders of Chivalry in existence today. It is the third oldest religious order and its origin dates back to the times of the Crusades in the Middle Ages. The Order is famous and revered for its countless works of mercy and charity performed unceasingly by its members since the days of its founding in Jerusalem by the Blessed Gerard in 1048AD as a Benedictine nursing Order and, thereafter, as a Christian military order under its own charter charged with the care and defense of pilgrims to the Holy Land.